Product designers design a wide range of items, from day-to-day items like mobile phones to household appliances to cars, to larger things like industrial tools, equipment and machinery, as well as medical products. They work on new products or improve existing ones and use their understanding of technology, material and manufacturing methods to improve the design and utility of items. The work involves designing, modeling, testing and producing prototypes. Working alongside engineers and model-makers, industrial / product designers conduct research and devise a design proposal for projects.
Product designing involves technical bent of the designer, as product design is all about perfect measures and shapes especially for the one working in heavy industries.
- History of Industrial design
- Product technology, material and construction
- Elements of product design and human ergonomics
- Prototype making and 3D modeling with the help of software
- Product graphics, display & control design
- Techno aesthetics details and system design thinking
- Form semantics & package design
- Production, planning & industrial organization
- Design sustainability and interaction design
- Industry internship and design management
Students associated with this course must understand ergonomics, material, manufacturing process, 3D design, branding, marketing, lifestyles, trends etc. The products can be from industries such as ceramic design work, designing sanitary wares, light fittings, pottery, decorative porcelain and material for electrical and other industries.